Healthcare is the number-one cause of personal bankruptcy and is responsible for more collections than credit cards in the USA.
RIP Medical Debt locates, buys and forgives medical debt across America, the only industrialized nation on earth with personal medical debt. We work on behalf of individual donors, philanthropists and organizations who provide financial relief for people burdened by unpaid and unplayable medical bills. A special focus is forgiving the medical debt of U.S. veterans and military troops.
Read about the RIP solution in an article in the New York Times
Facts about RIP
- RIP is a 501(c)(3) charity that locates, buys and forgives medical debt in the USA.
- RIP abolishes medical debt for the general public, veterans and local communities.
- RIP donations produce “a lot of bang for the buck,” so $100 can forgive $10,000 in debt.
- RIP uses more than 90 percent of all donated funds for directly abolishing medical debt.
- RIP buys older “portfolios” of unpaid and unpayable medical debt for pennies on the dollar from health care providers and the secondary debt market. (Portfolios contain thousands of bundled medical billing accounts.)
- RIP is not yet able to handpick and forgive personal medical debt for single individuals. We’re working on it.
- RIP offers a Debt Forgiveness Registry for the day when we finally can help individuals.
- RIP supports campaigns to abolish medical debt for given communities.
UN Sustainable Development Goals
This Action Project has been assessed by dHealthNetwork to meet the criteria of the following UN Sustainable Development goals:
Donate to this Action-Project
Now Accepting ETH, BTC or BCH